Friday, May 16, 2008

Bermuda at last!

As of 0025 local time this morning we are anchored in the harbor at St. George's Town, Bermuda. We've got our yellow quarantine flag up and are waiting the local customs office to open at 8am so that we can clear immigration. Quite frustrating... we're a couple of hundred meters off the quayside, and a band at a bar kept us up to 3am last night, but we can't go ashore for a shower or a drink until HM Gov have their toast!
 
Last few days sailing have been tough on us. 20-30 knot winds and 5-10 foot swells have meant some lumpy and wet conditions, but by the sound of it we got off lightly compared with some of the ARC fleet. Seems strange to think I'll be on my way home tomorrow... this yacht's been like home to us for 3 weeks, but I can't say I don't miss my real home. Looking forward to sleeping in a real bed that isn't at a 30 degree angle, being able to venture more than 42.7 feet in any direction, and not having to wake at 2am in the cold and dark because I'm on watch for the next 4 hours (and then getting pelted with cold sea water for those next 4 hours)!

1 comment:

DeeBeeHem said...

Congratulations to you all on making Bermuda safely. Sorry to hear that HM Customs are delaying the ablutions. Hopefully they will let me in on Sunday! See you then.
Happy Showering,
Dave.