Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gadget Mecca

After the dismal failure of my Sat Nav yesterday I drove round to the local BestBuy store to look for a new one, and was impressed again at how big and cheap everything is! Picked up a TomTom for less than they are in the UK... US maps only but I can either take it back at the end of the week for a 15% restock fee, or buy the UK maps when I come home!

Once my TomTom augmented sense of direction was restored I drove down to the boat and met up with Terry and Andrew who had just changed the engine oil and fluids, (glad I missed that little chore!). Also met up with Gary who's been installing a lot of the Nav and electronics and worked out a couple of the bugs in the system. Still got a short snag list for stuff to be done, but nothing that can't be sorted before Friday.

Then we had to drive to the nearest Frys store to pick up a 50 foot VGA cable, so that Gary could run it from the Nav station to the cockpit tomorrow, and wow was Frys huge! Made best buy look like a corner store, and was at least as big as the Asda in Canterbury, (which is supposed to be the biggest in the UK). And full of every conceivable gadget and cable you could need!

After that we drove over to Shirley's, (an English ex-pat who lives over here, and will be crewing on the first leg) for a dinner of steaks and baked potatoes. Drove home after dinner and had an early night as I think the jet lag is catching up to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frys = Geek heaven, no? .Slightly concerned about your steak consumption and potential rising cholestrol......

Anonymous said...

Forget about the cholestrol..what about the bank balance...all that shopping...still the Govier's like a bargain...skip the sailing and just go shopping...